Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Uniform

I'm embarrassed to say that I wear a uniform.  It has evolved over the years but I'm square in a clothing rut.

I would think that most of you mothers could understand the evolution.  I really wasn't expecting to have 3 children in 3 1/2 years.  With that said, I have had vomit, poop, pee, snot, spit up, blood, food goop, juice goop and other various goops slopped, slobbered and sloshed all over me during the years.

So, my uniform developed.  I quickly learned that as a stay-at-home mom, stay was the operative word.  With the first three little children, I went NO WHERE--EVER.  It was too much for me.  I was a wuss.  I was usually covered with one of the previous mentioned goops.  I started wearing old, stained clothes.  

As I started to venture out with the kids, I realized that I needed to be a little more presentable.  So, I started to buy nicer britches (that's what we call'em in the south).  The elastic waist was all about the fact that I seemed to be pregnant more often than I wasn't in the early years.  So, I was either getting bigger or getting smaller.  Seemed like a pretty good investment really.

I started buying white tshirts because white goes with everything.  Of course they also show stains much easier.  But, then of course that's what bleach if for. HA!  Now I have the hang-at-home tshirts and the be-seen-in-public tshirts.  I can quickly change my shirt if I need to run out. 

So, my uniform is black pants and white tshirts.  Here's the problem.  My 5 year old son noticed today.  Joey made a comment this evening while we were snuggling that I always wear black pants and white tshirts.  What a sad day.

My bigger problem is that I like what I wear.  I like that it's all so comfortable and so easy to clean.  But, I have created a dowdy housewife out of myself.  I have at least one friend that I know of who does her hair and makeup everyday.  I've tried that.  It just hasn't stuck for me.  You'd think I'd want a couple of extra minutes in the bathroom by myself.  Hmmm.....

So, I don't know if there's anything I need to do about it.  Maybe once Leah is potty-trained I'll feel a little more confident at dressing outside of my uniform.

1 comment:

Maria Hart said...

I know the feeling of the uniform. I wear a lot of khakis and cotton t-shirts. Polyester breaths, but it also holds odor. Nice fabrics aren't forgiving to the shmear stuffs of children. There is a time and a season for everything, wearing nice clothing all the time right now is simply not realistic. Just so you know, I have always thought you would look great in jewel tones. Your fair skin and brown hair would look great in deep blues, maroons, browns, reds, and emeralds... you should consider some t-shirts in those colors! Stick with comfort and washability... just diversify the color pallette! I think you are great, your wardrobe has little bearing on that!