Saturday, July 4, 2009

Kitchen Odyssey Continues

So, we went to the Ikea yesterday to buy the kitchen. What we thought would be about a two hour trip over the bridge turned into a five hour nightmare odyssey.

Sam and I took Joey with us because he needs some time away from his siblings. Put him in the Smaland to play. We went upstairs and finished tweaking our plans. Done.

Sam stays upstairs to have the girl key in the order. She's very abrasive and I left to go get Joey. I should've had a clue that with abrasive girl things were not going to go well after that.

I get Joe and head back upstairs. Sam tells me after she keys in the order (without doors for the cabinets, mind you, because they don't carry them in stock. I'll have to go pick them up at the warehouse in a week or pay $159 for delivery.) that it'll take them about an hour to "pick" the order so we can take it home.

Sam and I wander around the store for about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes. Then we sat down to wait. And wait and wait and wait and wait. All in all...we waited for them to pick the order for THREE hours. They then said that most of our order was picked but they were still looking for a couple of other pieces. Sam and I took the list with us and checked everything off as we loaded it in the truck. We were missing a few things and they packed something wrong as well. Back in the store we tell the chick Bianca of the wrong and missing parts. This is where I start to lose it.

Bianca then takes our list and tells us she had to go through the items to make sure we didn't miss anything. Well, I was greatly offended and put out. EVERYTHING is loaded. How the heck is she going to see what's missing in there???? After she goes around and around my vehicle I just left and went to find the manager.

Now, that's another story. I find him on the floor and say, "They tell me you're the manager". He turns around and looks so haggard and worn out. I continue with, "doesn't look like you want to be the manager today." He agrees and asks me what the problem is. I explain. Unfortunately the haggard manager didn't really care so much for my plight. Seems like he tried to move things on a bit but really, that didn't work either. They finally come out with a couple of other parts and break the news that they don't have three of the pieces we need but they'll UPS them to us from the warehouse.

Again, I did raise my voice a wee bit and explain that if I didn't DESPERATELY need a kitchen I'd have them unload it all and I'd find myself another kitchen. They didn't really care. They were haggard also.

While Sam was giving Bianca our name and address for the UPS shipment, she told him to please call the main store manager and complain. She said that the employees complain all the time about the lack of staffing but they're not heard. Boy oh boy! What a day.

We did get home, unloaded the old nasty kitchen from the Ronald House out of the kitchen with the help of Jen's boyfriend Brandon. He's a nice young man. That was helpful.

Today Sam starts to build the new new kitchen. Let's hope it goes well.

Happy Independence Day!!! We'll be heading off to the Phillies game later this afternoon. It's one of our new family traditions. Since last year, that is.

I'm still hoping for a kitchen sink this weekend.

No comments: