Friday, July 3, 2009

Yesterday

I had a nice day yesterday. Nothing spectacular happened it was just a nice day.

We've been trying to install a new kitchen. The story goes... The Ronald McDonald House is one of Sam's clients. A couple of weeks ago Sam was over there and found out that they were getting a new kitchen and that their old kitchen was up for grabs. So, we put our name on as many cabinets as we could get our hands on. The cabinets were not all in good shape but we figured we'd be able to piece them together to make one good kitchen for our house.

Last Saturday we spent the day gutting the old nasty kitchen. Those of y'all who have been in my house know that the kitchen was nasty. I've hated it forever but have done the best I could with what I had. So, knowing we'd have to pick the "new" kitchen up on Monday, we got rid of the old one on Saturday. Rested Sunday.

Monday morning Sam and I went out looking for flooring. We were so not prepared for this adventure. Not even a little bit. Found the flooring at Lumber Liquidators. It's a nice floor. I'm very happy with it. I finished painting the kitchen with "help" from the children. Sam and Jen made THREE trips to the Ronald House in Camden to get the cabinets. Once we got them to the house we realized how incredibly dirty and disgusting they were. The kids and I did our best to scrape and scrub the grime off of them. So nasty!

Long story short. Sam was moving around some of the cabinet pieces yesterday morning trying to figure out how best to use them and lay a design of sorts so we could get a counter made because I still don't have a kitchen sink. I was downstairs at my computer when Sam came down with a very sour look and said "talk me off of the ledge". I smiled and even giggled a little. We talked about the cabinets and how nasty they were. I told him that I would make the best of the situation. He said he didn't want to give me a nasty kitchen. So sweet!

We talked about it a little longer and then decided that we would go to Ikea and see if they had a kitchen that we could afford. We stuck the kids in the play place and started to lay out a new kitchen. To our utter delight and surprise a new kitchen wasn't going to cost as much as we thought. Especially since we were going to have to replace doors and buy a sink cabinet for the Ronald House cabinets anyway.

It was as if a major burden had been lifted. We both recognized that the Ronald House cabinets were a blessing in disguise. We've needed a new kitchen for forever but the thought of the effort and the cost just turned us off and we were never prepared to pull the trigger. Having a deadline to get the Ronald cabinets made us pull the trigger. We painted and put in the new floor before we realized that they weren't going to work. But, all in all, it's working out and I'm happy and excited to have a new kitchen.

After we left Ikea, I drove Sam to work and then took the kids on a little field trip to the Betsy Ross House in Philly. It was a nice little jaunt. Only took us about 45 minutes. With the kids along, they're not into museums and historical sites just yet but we've been learning about Betsy and the American Revolution. They had a storyteller there and the kids really enjoyed her a lot. If you're in Philly and have a few minutes, the BR House is just a couple blocks east of the US mint on Arch Street. I recommend it. Nothing spectacular but just a nice filler. They have a little courtyard set up where you can sit and rest in the shade of the trees and get a little something to eat. The tour is self guided because the house is so very small. It's only $3 for adults and $2 for children.

I enjoyed be a little spontaneous with the kids. They wanted to stay in Philly and do other things but I needed to get back home with holiday rush hour looming.

I just enjoyed yesterday. Today we're supposed to go pick up the cabinets at Ikea and spend forever putting them together and hanging them. YAY!!! But it's been a very long adventure so far. I'm hoping to have a kitchen sink in the next couple of days. That's my hope at least. We did order a new dishwasher to go UNDER the counter. YAY!!! That'll be here on Wednesday.

No comments: