Thursday, January 24, 2008

Our Trip to Florida

Sam and I went to a real estate investors seminar in Florida this past week. The weather was lovely. Sure beats below zero degree weather.

I learned something more important than real estate investing. The last day of the training a fellow by the name of Richard Flint was brought in as a type of motivational speaking. Now, I like this kinda stuff anyway, but he really blew me away.

He shared with us his life's story. Very sad. He was born to a New Orleans prostitute. No name on the birth certificate for the father. Richard was adopted when he was 2 months old. The father had wanted a son. The mother didn't want anything to do with him. The short story is that she kicked him out of the house when he was 16 years old.

He's incredibly successful and a very genuine person. You can go to http://www.richardflint.com/ to check out his website.

Anyway, what I learned from him is to ask the questions: Will this bring clarity or add to my confusion? Whatever it is that is being asked of me or other responsibilities that I may have.

I've been practicing it now for 3 whole days. I'm happy to say that my confusion is lifting and my head is clearing.

Mr. Flint also makes a big deal of procrastination. He explains that fatigue comes through procrastination. I had never really thought about that before. But its true. Every times we put something off, we have to use energy to revisit it. No matter how unpleasant a task, we really should just get to it.

So, it was really nice to get away for a few days. We met some nice people. Sam and I hadn't been on a trip without the kids for over 6 years. It was lovely. I didn't have to change a diaper for nearly a week.

No comments: