Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The challenge

I listened to a really great CD the other day.  It's called "Turn off the TV and Get a Life" by John Bytheway.  

I'd like to repeat a story that he tells.  I have already shared it with some of you but I'd like to share it with all my loyal readers.  He he.  Plus, I'd like to issue a challenge to go along with it.

So, when John Bytheway was a teenager, he went to the school library to find a book on how to "make it through high school".  More emotionally and socially and less about the academics.  Well, there was not such book to be found.  He told himself that he would write that book one day.

One day turned into many years.  Finally, he told himself that he really needed to write the book.  But, he couldn't figure out when during the day he'd find the time to do it.  He decided that he would give up his 10pm-12am "channel surfing" time and get up at 5am to be at the office at 6am and write for two hours before he had to start work.

He did give himself an incentive of a glass of "fresh squeezed" Tropicana OJ if he got up at 5am. He also programmed his alarm clock with a recording of a Gordon B. Hinckley quote about discipline.  I'll have to see if I can find it.  He said that hearing Pres. Hinckley talk about the importance of discipline got him out of bed.

He admitted that some mornings were tougher than others, especially during the winter.  Some mornings he was only able to write a paragraph, other mornings he got out two or three pages.  He continued on until he had enough for a chapter or two and he faxed it over to Deseret Book. Sheri Dew called him and said that she wanted to see the rest of the book.  Needless to say, that motivated him to get out of bed and finish it.  

His book was eventually published and changed his life.  He has since sold 100 of thousands of books and tapes and is a highly sought after speaker.

I was very impressed by his diligence, determination and discipline.  Lord knows, I've tried to be as disciplined but failed.  Not that failing is a bad thing.  One surely learns from failure.  I'm thankful for my failures and I'm looking forward to being successful because of the wisdom I've gained through my failures.

I started considering the numbers.  He said that it took him four months from the first morning he got up at 5am until his book was finished and ready for editing/publishing.  So multiplying it out that's two hours five days a week for four months.  Approximately 160 hours.  That's it!  He changed his life in 160 hours.  Isn't that amazing!!!!

So, here's my challenge.  I'd like to encourage each of you to pick something that you've always wanted to do or change and starting August 1st begin to apply yourself for two hours a day.  Your four months will be over on December 1st.  Can you imagine that type of Christmas you'll have?  Seriously.  Something WILL be different in your life.  How exciting!!

So you have about 15 days to ponder and pray about what it is that you're going to give yourself permission to learn/change.  I personally am so excited about this challenge that I can't decide what to start with first.  I want to do everything.  So, I've decided that I'm going to have to pray about it and get a little direction.  I'm sure Heavenly Father smiles at the thought of receiving that prayer but I really need a little help.  I know, I know....He's big on people making their own decisions.  This is kind of like me being a little girl in a candy shop.  It's all going to be good, but I'm sure one has got to be the best to try first. :)

So, will you join me in my challenge?  I sure hope you will.  I'll be your biggest cheerleader, you know that.  I'm excited to see what great things we can accomplish.  I also encourage you to invite others to join our 160 hour challenge.  We are great women. (I don't know if any men read this, but you're included to in the "men" part of women...gosh I crack myself up)  We can do great things. 

We're all spread out across the country and have super busy families, callings, jobs and hobbies. But we can support one another in a huge embrace for our aspirations and efforts.

Let's do it!  I'll let you know what I choose once I figure it out.  Hopefully sooner than later.  Please give yourself permission to create in yourself what you've always wanted.

4 comments:

Maria Hart said...

Sounds awesome... I'm in. Can I cut and paste your challenge into my blog?

Keeping up with the Bonacci's said...

I accept your challenge (slap slap)! THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!!!!

Crystal Roach said...

Im so excited for your challenge. I will let you know the most pressing need for change once I make my enormous list. Please, no suggestions. Cheerleaders are invaluable. Thanks!

Sunshine said...

ok, I love this idea and I've been thinking about it. BTW I'm amazed at how many things we end up having in common Wendi! Anyway without going into that, Matt and I watched 'The Bucket List' S night and were comparing lists of our own. So my goal is off my bucket list but I'll wait 'till you each have yours to unveil.