Thursday, October 2, 2008

1 Year Anniversary

It's been a year ago today that I pulled the kids out of school and started the journey of homeschooling.

I have shed many a tear and been overly frustrated.  Just as recently as August, I almost put the kids back in school.  I'm thankful I didn't.

I would've missed our trip to the beach.  The trip where I fell in love with my children all over again.  The trip that Lucy says her favorite thing was spending time with her mom.  And she really means it.

I would've missed seeing my son Joey sound out his first words while learning to read.

I would've missed observing my children becoming better and better friends.  Oh, they still fuss and fight a lot, but they work and play together much better than ever before.

I would've missed allowing the kids to be involved in so many extra curricular activities and watch them expand their talents and skills.  While in school, there just wasn't time to do so much before bed time.

I would've missed seeing their eyes light up when the finally "get it".

They would've missed seeing their mom serve others.

They would've missed being an integral part of their baby sister's development.

They would've missed sleeping in. :)

They would've missed marching to the beat of their own drum.  A couple of them have VERY different beats.

They would've missed learning how to become more self reliant by learning how to cook, clean and take care of themselves under their mother's watchful eye. :)  (Yes, I know that sounds like housework, but they need to learn it)

They would've missed learning how to learn their own way and what they want to learn.

I'm am ever so grateful to the Lord for His exhortation that I pull the kids.  It was nearly a year before I shed my resentment.  I am more thankful than ever for Him knowing better than me.

1 comment:

Maria Hart said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope I have as many positive reflections in ten months.