Saturday, December 6, 2008

Just Some Random Things

Yesterday I gave Leah some Cheerios type cereal for breakfast.  She came out to the living room where I was on the phone and said, "Mooommmyy, I duhn wan some polka dot cereal."

I thought that was funny.

Thursday night, I was en route to a stake welfare committee meeting.  I had made dozens of cinnamon rolls during the day to take to the meeting.  I stopped at the Hess station to fill up and grab some milk.  The man pumping my gas just seemed to sad and miserable.  More so than typical for a gas station attendant.  

I asked him how he was doing.  He said that he was doing better than he had been earlier in the day.  I told him that I had something for him that was going to make him the happiest man in the world.  I reached in the car and brought out a big GIANT cinnamon roll.  Still warm even.  I gave it to him and he thanked me.

Let me tell ya.  I loved that feeling.  He didn't gush all over me about what a great person I was.  He didn't sing my praises about how yummy it tasted.  He just said thank you and went into the little shelter there between the gas pumps and ate the cinnamon roll.  My heart just got bigger and bigger.  THAT was the spirit of Christmas.  I didn't do anything to change his life.  I just made a few minutes of it a little sweeter.  I'm so grateful for that opportunity to serve.

1 comment:

Maria Hart said...

You're a much better woman that I! Whenever there are homemade cinnamon rolls in the vicinity, I go into "hoard-them-all" mode! Thanks for the recent reminders about serving throughout this season, and making it a life habit.