Monday, December 1, 2008

My report

Today is December 1, 2008.  Today is the day after the 160-day challenge ended.  

Here is my report of my own efforts.  

1.  Really, I crashed and burned.  I did not accomplish what I had intended to accomplish.  It was too hard for me.  Really.  I didn't have the ability to write a book of fiction.  So, because of that, I gave up.

2.  In the early days, back in August.  I was doing everything I said I wanted to do.  This resulted in other blessings.

Although I didn't write the book I still want to write and know is in me, I did spend time in my scriptures and writing about my understanding of them.  Because of this, when I was asked to speak in Stake Priesthood Leadership Meeting, the talk was all but written.  What a great blessing!!

I actually have quite a few scripture writings that I feel are quite insightful.  

3.  During August, again when I was really applying myself, I happened upon a great business opportunity that I have really grown to love.  StoryKeeping is the process of interviewing others and gathering/recording their stories to be burned onto CD or uploaded to a website.

This has combined my love of story and my love of family.  I wish with all my heart I had recordings of my best friends and family who have passed.  I wish I could have my Grampa Snow relating his "corny jokes".  Or my dear friend Jolene with her sweet little voice.  These things would be priceless to me.

StoryKeeping allows me to do this for other people as well as myself.  I have been working with Estate Planning Attorneys, Hospices (to train their volunteers to be StoryKeepers) and nursing homes.  Gathering these stories before they are gone.

If this interests you, you're welcome to check out my website at www.keepingstories.com

I'm not trying to sell you anything.  Just relating my experiences.  But you can earn money too. :)

4.  I have learned through the 160-day challenge that it's not easy to change my life.  Just because I put a fancy title on it and figured out what my routine would be, I didn't prepare so much for the bumps or distractions.  The StoryKeeping thing was a huge distraction, but it was a really great distraction.  But, it was a distraction and took me away from my goal.

As I stated earlier, I didn't know how to write a book.  Fiction or otherwise.  Now, do I need to take a class or read a book or visit websites or pay someone?  Probably. 

I think I've learned that there are other things that are more important for me to learn and change than writing a book at this time.  So, I feel comfortable with setting that "book" on the shelf for a while until it becomes more important to me.  The thought and feeling about the book and what it will contain won't go away.  Hopefully.

So, I'm going to turn my attention to other things that I know will be challenging for me but a little easier because I know how to do it.  Learning a language or losing weight come to mind.  There just has to be application and consistency.

Although I crashed and burned and have no best seller book to deliver today, I am a better person for attempting the change and learning a little more about myself.

I intend to start another journey if anyone would like to join me.  Once we get some of the wrinkles out of this, we'll be unstoppable. :)

1 comment:

Maria Hart said...

Good job for even attempting such a tremendously huge project. I crashed and burned as well on my personal goals... but we are really taking off with home school... so I guess there are always trade-offs!