Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Our Family Home Evening

I am sad to say that I have never really felt or been deeply engrossed in the spirit of Christmas.  I've felt twinges here and now but I've always kinda been a grump.  Too much trouble and mess.  I do enjoy giving gifts.  I enjoy shopping and trying to be thoughtful with the gifts I give.  All in all, though, I've just never been interested in the whole Christmas theme.

That is, until this year.  Something has happened to me this year.  I'm different.  I think I know what happened.

Last month, I designated November as Gratitude month in our family.  I hate multiple Family Home Evenings on the subject and even created a new family tradition.  I made up "leaves" to hang on our sad little Christmas tree left up from last year that has been hanging out behind the couch.  Everyone wrote something they were thankful for each day and hung it on the tree.  Our little tree was full of Fall-colored leaves.  The Sunday before Thanksgiving, we celebrated our Thanksgiving because Jen and Jessie wouldn't be with us for the holiday.

We had all the fixin's and after dinner we read our leaves.  We laughed and enjoyed each other's company.  We realized how to make it even more successful next year.  

After reading the leaves, I talked to the kids about what December was going to be.  Our Service month.  We're planning on finding ways to serve others as Christ would do.

We've never really been a service project type of family.  To me, service projects are so complicated.  I enjoy the service for the arranging and delivering seems to be my downfall.

I'm so thankful for the gift of the Holy Ghost that helps me be a little less brain-dead than I am. :)

Monday night for Family Home Evening, we talked about selflessness and service.  Our service project was to write Christmas cards to the US military servicemen and women.  We had a box of 25 cards.  Everyone was able to participate, even Leah.  Sam and I encouraged the kids to express gratitude for the service rendered.  Then they drew pictures and colored things.  

There were moments as I watched my family, that tears filled my eyes and the true spirit of Christmas gently enfolded us all.  I was grateful that even the littlest was able to participate.  I was grateful that my two teenage step daughters struggling with their feelings about their two homes and religion, were able to feel the spirit of family and unity and service.  I was thankful for my three in the middle who wrote and drew and joined in completely.  I was thankful for my husband's participation and very pithy notes to the servicemen.

I have been spending more time with my children.  Enjoying their spirits and laughter.  I'm grateful to finally feel this spirit that changes lives and lifts all to a higher more enlightened level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss Family Home Evenings with the Bergins. I wish I had been there!