Monday, August 11, 2008

Stumbling Blocks

I am so THANKFUL for stumbling blocks. And I'm also thankful that I'm recognizing them sooner as well.

I found out something negative someone had to say about me yesterday. It sent me into a momentary tailspin. I worked hard (and am still working) on figuring out the problem.

My first reaction was to pull back and not be who I want to be. "Oh yeah," I thought, "I'll show you." Then I really started to ponder about it. I like being positive and trying to reach my potential.

What was my stumbling block? Well, probably a couple. Caring about someone's negative judgment about me. Caring that they didn't want to be like me. :) But, almost giving into the temptation to be just as negative and judgmental.

I'm so thankful to that person who was negative. Because, I know myself better now. I have defined to a greater degree who would be a better influence and motivator for me.

I may sound selfish, but it's my blog. I'm choosing to be thankful. Thankful for blessings in disguise.

I read this quote today, that I really really liked.

"Gratitude is about shifting into appreciation and opening your perception to opportunity, instead of lack."

I don't know who wrote it, but it fits me perfectly right now.

2 comments:

Maria Hart said...

Just so you know, I am working on getting homeschool ready and then hitting the ground running. I am also trying to read the scriptures every day. That is my goal for the next four months. I will blog about the goal this week. The last couple of weeks have been crazy... John's new business is eating up a lot of time!

I am sorry you had negative things said about you. I am glad you are learning from them, you are at a better place in life than I right now! I went running with a friend and her friend this morning, we have been running for about a month now. Our conversation started to get deep, I got excited and shared my own opinions, and the conversation fell apart. I went home discouraged. I found myself really missing you. We had great discussions, we disagreed often, but I never felt that you were patronizing me. You tried to see my point of view and then explained your own. We could agree to disagree. I am beginning to see what a rare thing that is. So many people are afraid of and offended by anyone who thinks differently. It is very frustrating to establish worthwhile friendships. I appreciate who you are. You are a rare and valuable treasure.

Keeping up with the Bonacci's said...

I was also thinking about you today and was seeking your council on a certain subject. Then I was going to call you but felt the better of it, thinking that you, who really is a very busy woman, wouldn't have time for my silly question. But I know you would have entertained my question.I should have called. You are a person I want to talk to every day. Thank you for that!